What is The Write Direction?
The Write Direction is an informal gathering where members meet to socialize and talk about children’s writing. It is a support/fellowship/networking meeting. Often there are no guest speakers at The Write Direction. Nor is any critiquing usually done.
For purposes of comfort and safety, gatherings are usually held in public venues (libraries, churches, parks, restaurants, bookstores, etc.). A topic for discussion may be chosen ahead of time to "get the ball rolling," but the object is to encourage everyone to participate. Input from attendees with experience related to the topic is always welcome. Or participants may attend an event together (e.g. a booksigning, author appearance, etc.).
1. Open to SCBWI members and nonmembers.
2. Attendees are discouraged from bringing young children to SCBWI events.
3. Caregivers or facilitators for physically impaired attendees are always welcome.
Current regular gatherings on the Calendar - check calendar for specific dates and times or click to go to the events page:
- Clark County, Vancouver, WA – monthly
- SW Portland – monthly
- NE & SE Portland
- Coffee Hour – Portland
PLAN A MEETING
1. Get approval from Carol Bloemen, The Write Direction Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Choose a free location (a library, a community center, a cafe) and a date and time—one to two hours is a good length. Note: gatherings are free to members and nonmembers alike, so it's a good way to introduce people to SCBWI.
3. Send a written announcement to Carol Bloemen for publicity purposes. Include a contact email and/or phone number. She'll send it to the appropriate people for the website, unless you prefer not, and if there's enough lead time, for the next NewsWorthy (deadlines are Jan 30, Mar 30, May 30, Jul 30, Sep 30 & Nov 30).
4. Share about The Write Direction meeting on Toad Hall or other listserves where you can invite writers and illustrators.
5. If your meeting is location based, Carol can send an email announcing it to people in that area.
6. Report back to Carol on results and she'll share in the newsletter.
Questions? Contact Carol Bloemen at email@example.com