What is The Write Direction?
The Write Direction is an informal gathering where members meet to socialize and talk about children’s writing and illustrating. It is a support/fellowship/networking meeting. Often there are no guest speakers at The Write Direction. Nor is any critiquing usually done.
For purposes of comfort and safety, gatherings are usually held in public venues (libraries, churches, parks, restaurants, bookstores, etc.). A topic for discussion may be chosen ahead of time to "get the ball rolling," but the object is to encourage everyone to participate. Input from attendees with experience related to the topic is always welcome. Or participants may attend an event together (e.g. a booksigning, author appearance, etc.).
1. Open to SCBWI members and nonmembers.
2. Attendees are discouraged from bringing young children to SCBWI events.
3. Caregivers or facilitators for physically impaired attendees are always welcome.
Current regular gatherings on the Calendar:
– Clark County, Vancouver, WA – monthly during the school year
– Coffee Hour, Portland – monthly
– Salem – monthly
– SW Portland – monthly
Check the calendar for specific dates and times or go to the events page.
1. Get approval from Carol Bloemen, The Write Direction Coordinator, at email@example.com.
2. Choose a free location (a library, a community center, a cafe, etc.) and a date and time—one to two hours is a good length. Note: gatherings are free to members and nonmembers alike, so it's a good way to introduce people to SCBWI.
3. Please fill out this form for publicity purposes. Include a contact email and/or phone number. It'll go to the appropriate people for the website if there's enough lead time, and for the next NewsWorthy (see deadlines, etc. here.) if you give us enough notice.
4. Share about The Write Direction meeting on our Twitter account, our Facebook page, or Portland Kidlit on Facebook, if appropriate. You may also announce it on Toad Hall, or other listserves where you can invite writers and illustrators.
5. If your meeting is location based, an email announcing it to people in that area can be sent. Ask Sue Ford our webmaster at least a week before you want the announcement to go out. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Report back to Carol on results and she'll share in the newsletter.
Questions? Contact Carol Bloemen at email@example.com