Check out Current Gatherings below and JOIN US!
What is The Write Direction?
The Write Direction is an informal gathering where members meet to socialize and talk about children’s writing and illustrating. It is a support/fellowship/networking meeting. Often there are no guest speakers at The Write Direction. Nor is extensive critiquing done. These are always free! Although some groups meet in coffee shops/restaurants and it is courtesy to purchase something in those cases.
For purposes of comfort and safety, gatherings are usually held in public venues (libraries, churches, parks, restaurants, bookstores, etc.). A topic for discussion may be chosen ahead of time to “get the ball rolling,” but the object is to encourage everyone to participate. Input from attendees with experience related to the topic is always welcome. Or participants may attend an event together (e.g. a booksigning, author appearance, etc.).
SCBWI has a zero-tolerance policy against harassment of any kind. Any violation of this
policy is actionable. Go here for more information.
1. Open to SCBWI members and nonmembers.
2. Anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed at SCBWI events for liability reasons.
3. Caregivers or facilitators for physically impaired attendees are always welcome.
Write Direction Meetings – 2022:
CLARK COUNTY WRITERS – VIA ZOOM
Clark County, Vancouver, WA – monthly during the school year.
Meetings happen on the first Saturday of the month.
Questions? Contact Kristin Burchell at email@example.com
SW WRITE DIRECTION – VIA ZOOM
SW Portland – monthly on the second Saturday of each month except February
Contact Carol Bloemen at firstname.lastname@example.org
CENTRAL OREGON WRITE DIRECTION
Questions? Contact Linnea Heaney at email@example.com
SALEM WRITE DIRECTION
No Current Schedule
Questions? Contact Che Gilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
WRITE DIRECTION COFFEE HOUR – Portland
No Current Schedule – However, this group will open again when we find our new Coffee Hour coordinator. Is it you? If you’re interested in heading this Portland-based monthly meeting in 2022, please contact Deb Bartsch. Thank You for stepping up!
Check the calendar for specific dates and times or go to the events page.
Questions? Contact Deb Bartsch at email@example.com
Plan a Meeting – (please contact Deb if you have questions)
1. Get approval from Deb Bartsch, The Write Direction Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Choose a free location (a library, a community center, a cafe, etc.) and a date and time—one to two hours is a good length. Note: gatherings are free to members and nonmembers alike, so it’s a good way to introduce people to SCBWI.
3. Please fill out this form for publicity purposes. Include a contact email and/or phone number. It’ll go to the appropriate people for the website if there’s enough lead time, and for the next NewsWorthy (see deadlines, etc. here.) if you give us enough notice.
4. Share about The Write Direction meeting on our Twitter account, our Facebook page, or Portland Kidlit on Facebook, if appropriate. You may also announce it on Toad Hall, or other listserves where you can invite writers and illustrators.
5. If your meeting is location based, an email announcing it to people in that area can be sent. Ask Robin Chilstrom, our webmaster, at least a week before you want the announcement to go out. Contact her at email@example.com. Be sure to provide the text you want sent to potential attendees.
6. Report back to Deb on results and she’ll share in the newsletter. If you take pictures of your group’s meeting, those can go in the newsletter too.